Friday, August 13, 2010

Sydney Symphony

As part of my time in Sydney I took my sister today to the Sydney Opera House for a concert by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra with Vladimir Ashkenazy conducting.

It was part of the Tea and Symphony Series commencing after coffee/tea and biscuit at 11am and finishing without an interval at 12.15.

This year I have attended 4 concerts in Dunedin by the Southern Sinfonia and one by the New Zealand Symphony. They were about half the cost and much easier to attend.
I must admit that the Sydney Symphony does have a quality not possessed by the Southern Sinfonia but then it is a Professional full time orchestra performing about 4 times per week while the Southern Sinfonia is part-time and performs about once a month.
I will be happy to continue regularly attending the Southern Sinfonia in Dunedin with occasional visits from the New Zealand Symphony and then add an attendance or two each year at the Sydney Symphony.

The program today was Richard Strauss 'Der Rosenkavalier Suite'
Sibelius 'Rakastava'
Elgar 'Enigma Variations'

I have discovered an interview with Ashkenazy as he took over the position of chief conductor of the Sydney Symphony last year.





and part of Der Rosenkavalier Suite played by the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Enjoy

No comments: