Monday, August 03, 2009

Cassowary - I am woman, hear me roar

Last week I watched a documentary on Cassowaries.
I did not know much about them before except they were found in North Queensland and should be treated with respect.
I think they should be taken as a mascot for all women.
The female is much larger than the male. She may take up to 3 males in a season and seems to do the choosing.
Having laid her eggs, her work is finished, no dreary child care for her.
The male incubates the eggs, and they may not be all his, for about 50 days in which he rarely leaves them in search of food and water. He loses weight. Once hatched the male cares for the chicks for about 9 months.

He may even have to guide the chicks to safety if the mother comes round and wants to feed in the same area.

At the end of the 9 months the chicks are suddenly left to fend for themselves when Mother finally takes an interest in Dad again and drives away the offspring.
I am invincible
I am strong
I am woman

I am taking a small holiday to the north of my state of New South Wales. Am taking the laptop as the motels advertise wifi but in case that does not eventuate, any comments may not be vetted.

2 comments:

lesleymdv said...

Are you hoping to meet a cassowary, Brian? I was up in FNQ for nearly twelve months recently and despite regular trips to the Daintree, I only once saw an adult on the road in the dim distance. Crocs nary hide nor hair, either. Not sure whether I should be disappointed or thankful!
Hope you have a relaxing holiday - make the most of the Qld winter warmth as you will need the remembrance of it in cold Dunedin (I froze there in January 2007).

Brian R said...

Thanks for commenting austropadmin.
Not going to Queensland this trip just northern NSW. Cassowaries need not be dangerous if taken with care but crocs are a different matter. I would give them a very wide berth.